Windshield ReplacementHopefully our FAQ section has answered some of the questions you may have about windshield repair and replacement. However, if you would like more information, we have produced the following guide and video to help you understand the subject in greater detail.
Having a damaged windscreen is common for drivers in the UK and windscreens are one of the most frequently replaced parts on a car.
Chipped WindscreenEven if you have a small chip it is important that you take care of the issue as it could get worse over time.
A small chip could very easily turn into a major crack as a car vibrates when it's driven, bumps in the road can also cause damage to glass quickly.
If there is damage in your windshield and you have an MOT due, it is essential that you have the issue resolved before the test as it will effect the line of sight test and your vehicle could fail.
Fortunately having a windshield repaired is not a complex job, even if the whole piece of glass has to be removed and a new one installed.
If you are not sure if you need to replace a windshield or to repair a windshield, use the advice below to assess the problem properly so you can make the right decision.
- A chip has to be smaller than a £2 pound piece to be filled, if its bigger an entire replacement will be required.
- The chip has to be at least 3cm away from the edge of the windscreen to be repaired.
- If the damaged area is within the line of sight of the driver (an area of 30cm) the damage cannot occupy an area bigger than 10mm.
- Your vehicle will have protective material covering the area around the windshield which will shield the bodywork and interior of your car.
- The seals or glue which holds the windshield in place will be cut by the mechanic and removed from the car.
- Special primer agent will be applied to the framework of the vehicle and allowed to dry and a bonding glue will applied to the new windshield before it is fitted into place. This will ensure a strong hold is secured.
- The sticking agents need at least an hour to dry and the vehicle cannot be driven away before this time.
What if the Windscreen is completely broken?If your car windshield is broken you should have the issue addressed immediately.
Its also important to remember that a cheap car windshield replacement may not always be the best option as the job could be rushed and further problems caused.
The best practice is to get a mobile windscreen replacement or garage windshield replacement which can be carried out by a top rated garage with an excellent customer satisfaction record.
Finding a mechanic you can trust to do a good job and charge a fair price, is not always easy which is why we simplified the process.
We work with a network of 10,000 mechanics and garages across the UK so we can find competitive windshield repair or replacement deals for you.
To find the best windshield repair or replacement service in your region;
- Enter your car registration number
- Give us a few details about your car and your requirements
- We’ll send you a great selection of quotes from mechanics and garages in your area