What is a Clutch
The Clutch is the part of your car engine which is responsible for engaging and disengaging the power transmission.
It’s a vital part of an engine and is essentially there to connect two parts of the system that can’t make a car move unless they're connected. Clutches engage and disengage two rotating shafts which then allow your car to move.
Because they play this role within the engine system, they naturally wear down over time as the parts are in constant friction with each other.
How can you tell if your clutch needs repairing?
There are a huge variety of problems that can occur with a clutch and there are a number of symptoms that you should look out for which would point towards certain issues.
Finding a mechanic you can trust to do a good job and charge a fair price, is not always easy which is why we simplified the process.
We work with a network of over 10,000 mechanics and garages across the UK so we can find competitive clutch repair deals near you in Shoreditch.
To find the best clutch service available in Shoreditch;
- Slipping Clutch
Slipping is one of the most common clutch issues and can cause a drop in performance, as well as damage, if not diagnosed in time.
The things you need to watch out for are;
- Your car struggles to move forward while moving at a low speed in a high gear.
- Your car struggles to get up hills in a high gear
- Your car struggles to accelerate or finds it difficult to tow a trailer
The problem with a slipping clutch is that it will only get worse as time goes on. Slippage increases the heat generated in between the two shafts and the hotter this area becomes the less able it is to maintain its grip, therefore increasing the slippage. The greater the slippage the greater the heat generated.
So it’s clear to see that this is an issue that will only get worse if left without attention.
- Clutch Chatter
Chattering occurs when the clutch is being used and a grabbing or jerking can be felt in the vehicle.
This problem is caused by the following internal clutch issues;
- A warped or grooved flywheel
- Missing flywheel dowel pins
- A worn piolet bearing/bushing
- A worn bearing retainer
- Worn or damaged clutch disc or input shaft splines
- Bent or broken drive straps
- A bent or distorted clutch disc
- A loose clutch cover
- Clutch linings becoming covered in oil grease or getting burned or glazed
Chatter can also be caused by other faults in the engine;
- Loose/broken engine or transmission mounts
- Misalignment of the chassis and drivetrain components
- Worn or damaged U-joints/CV joints
- A loose transmission cross member
- A worn or bent release fork
- A loose rear left spring brushing or spring U-bolt nuts
- Clutch Noise
If you are hearing strange noises like growls or squeals, this can be another sign of a problem with a clutch, as vibrations within the part would cause such sounds.
If you hear any strange noises coming from your car, have it looked at immediately as a fault with your clutch could cause serious danger while you are driving.
Clutch repairs are one of the most common maintenance services carried out in the UK as the parts in the engine are used so frequently and due to their nature, wear down over time.
You can then compare the quotes and read reviews from previous customers to find the best clutch deal in Shoreditch, before booking the clutch repair online.
- Enter your car registration number
- Give us a few details about your car and your requirements
- We’ll send you a great selection of quotes from mechanics and garages in Shoreditch