Chipped and Cracked Windscreens
Even if you have a small chip it is important that you take care of the issue as it could get worse over time.
A small chip could very easily turn into a major crack as a car vibrates when it's driven, bumps in the road can also cause damage to glass quickly.
If there is damage in your windscreen and you have an MOT due, it is essential that you have the issue resolved before the test as it will affect the line of sight test and your vehicle could fail.
Fortunately having a windscreen repaired is not a complex job, even if the whole piece of glass must be removed and a new one installed.
If you are not sure if you need to replace a windscreen or to repair a windshield, use the advice below to assess the problem properly so you can make the right decision.
If your car windscreen is broken you should have the issue addressed immediately.
It is also important to remember that a cheap car windscreen replacement may not always be the best option as the job could be rushed and further problems caused.
The best practice is to get a mobile windscreen replacement or garage windscreen replacement which can be carried out by a top-rated garage with an excellent customer satisfaction record.
Windscreen Replacement Cost
If you need a full windscreen replaced, the cost will depend on your car as the price will vary from one to another. The size of the whole windscreen is a factor when it comes to price, so a Range Rover windscreen replacement will be more expensive than a Fiat Punto windscreen replacement.
You can find cheap windscreen replacement deals by entering your details at the top of the page. Once you have got quotes for windscreen replacement, you can choose the best deal for you.
Can you drive with a cracked windscreen
Technically, you can drive with a cracked windscreen, however, if the crack covers your view of the road, you cannot legally drive the vehicle as your ability to see other cars and the road will be impaired. Even if your view is not impaired, it is not advisable to drive with a crack in a windscreen because the crack will get much worse as vibrations travel through the glass and make the problem worse.
Is your windscreen covered by insurance?
Windscreen repair and replacement will not be covered by third party insurance. So if you are wondering, ‘is windscreen cover worth it?’, the answer is yes because you will have to pay out of your own pocket if a crack appears on your windscreen or a chip appears.
How do you keep a cracked windshield from spreading?
The only way to prevent a windshield crack from spreading is by having a mechanic assess the damage and apply a specialist repair solution to the damage. However, if the crack is beyond a certain size, it will not be possible to repair the damage. If you are a long way from a mechanic but have a crack in the windshield, make sure to drive as carefully as possible on your way as even a small bump on the road may cause the crack to get to a point beyond repair.
How long does it take to replace a car windscreen?
If you need an entire car windscreen replacement, the service is simple and can be boiled down to four steps.
- Your vehicle will have protective material covering the area around the windscreen which will shield the bodywork and interior of your car.
- The seals or glue which holds the windscreen in place will be cut by the mechanic and removed from the car.
- Special primer agent will be applied to the framework of the vehicle and allowed to dry and a bonding glue will be applied to the new windscreen before it is fitted into place. This will ensure a strong hold is secured.
- The sticking agent needs at least an hour to dry and the vehicle cannot be driven away before this time.
This process should not take much longer than an hour though it may change from one garage to another.
Repairing a chipped windscreen
Repairing a chip can be easier than a crack though there are rules to having this type of service carried out.
- A chip has to be smaller than a £2 pound piece to be filled, if its bigger an entire replacement will be required.
- The chip has to be at least 3cm away from the edge of the windscreen to be repaired.
- If the damaged area is within the line of sight of the driver (an area of 30cm) the damage cannot occupy an area bigger than 10mm.
Where can I get my windscreen replaced?
Finding a mechanic you can trust to do a good job and charge a fair price, is not always easy which is why we simplified the process.
We work with a network of 11,114 mechanics and garages across the UK so we can find competitive windscreen repair or replacement deals for you.
To find the best windscreen repair or replacement service in your region;
- Enter your car registration number
- Give us a few details about your car and your requirements
- We’ll send you a great selection of quotes from mechanics and garages in your area
You can then compare the quotes and read reviews from previous customers to find the best deal in your area, before booking the local windscreen replacement or repair online.